Call the school at 416.386.0940
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Microbiome: The Key to Lifelong Health & Its Role in Disease
Presenter: Dr. Sarah Oulahen, ND
Did you know that you are only 10% human? You have 10 times the amount of bacterial cells in and on your body than human cells. In addition, you have 150 times more microbial genes than human genes.
The human microbiome is defined as the totality of microorganisms and their collective genetic material present in or on the human body. This collection of bacteria is an organ in itself. If assembled it would weigh approximately 1.5kg (3lbs) and it rivals the liver both in size and the number of biochemical reactions in which it participates. All your body systems are intimately connected via the microbiome. Gut bacteria are involved in digestion and absorption of nutrients; they modulate the immune system, endocrine system, and nervous system. We cannot survive without these beneficial bacteria – they are our friends and mates for life! Join Sarah for an evening lecture that will provide cutting edge information on the human microbiome.
Key learning highlights include:
• Microbiota location and composition
• Microbiome functions
• Factors that lead to microbiome disruption (dysbiosis) such as: antibiotic use, stress, early life, diet & genetics
• Mechanisms explaining the association between the microbiome and the following: Allergies, eczema & asthma (atopy); Autoimmunity; Metabolism & weight management; Healthy mood & the microbiota-gut-brain axis
• Characteristics of a high quality probiotic
• Overview of Seroyal’s probiotic research
• Clinical protocols and the use of probiotics in practice
By attending this lecture, you will:
• Be inspired by how much the microbiome does to maintain human health
• Learn how to explain the benefits of healthy bacteria to your clients
• Learn how the microbiome is connected to mood, allergies, autoimmunity and weight management
• Understand probiotic research and why it’s so important when choosing a product
• Know how to support the microbiome prenatally to optimize health of future generations
• Learn therapeutic dosages of probiotics and how to use them with your clients to optimize their health
This 3.5 hour lecture will have you loving bugs, especially the ones in our gut!
About the Presenter
Dr. Oulahen is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor in Toronto. She graduated from The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and holds an honours degree in Health Sciences from the University of Western Ontario. She is the Clinical Director and practicing Naturopath at SOW Health and a Medical Advisor at Seroyal International. Dr. Oulahen is an active speaker and regularly presents on various health topics in her community and through corporate wellness programs. She has a generalized family practice and aims to help people achieve and maintain optimal health through the many milestones in their lives. She has a special interest in women’s health, digestive concerns, environmental health and Biotherapeutic Drainage®.