Work with a Health Publication to Gain Experience in Professional Nutrition Writing
Open to all November 2020 graduating students—watch for requirements and prerequisites, if any—dependent on where you are in the program.
To Apply: Each publication (see list) can be applied to at different times. They each have a different application processes. Most are year round. Please read this email for details.
Start Date: Rolling start dates
Developing Your Own: If you source an opportunity that you would like to pursue (not on this list), you will be required discuss the option with IHN.
As graduating students, a writing and content development role will give you the chance to put into practice what you have learned about holistic nutrition. You will gain insight and experience into dealing with the public by educating them on nutrition and health. Having these Co-ops on your resumes re: educating the public through writing are excellent. Educating potential clients through written word, in print or online, creates a lasting impact that can reach audiences across the globe.
Must-know information about Co-op partners listed:
• Each publication has their own process to submit work
• There are two kinds of writing co-ops; either single submission or long-term commitment—booked hours will vary on each, of course.
• Hours and times are dependent on publication deadlines; each Co-op partner below has their own schedule that students must adhere to
• Your submission is not guaranteed to be published by the Co-op partner; if your submission is not used by Co-op partner, IHN will consider publishing it on their Facebook page
It is your responsibility, once you’ve sorted out a writing adventure, to ask for the Agreement/Evaluation Form (AEF) from your campus Co-op liaison:
• Write about what you know; publications want to hear about your area of expertise
• Posts must be unique to the publication you are working for and must not have been published elsewhere online (including your personal blog) or distributed to other sites
• Source all health claims; use peer-reviewed scientific papers, academic journals and credible news outlets
• A love of nutrition, health and educating others
Send submission to Stefani Chan-Wright at email@example.com
• Ahimsa Eco is a business-for-good that truly cares and is committed to providing solutions for a healthier planet! Many people and organizations have the desire to change, they just are unsure on how to begin. We help organizations meet their sustainability goals, and we sell next-level Zero Waste products made from top quality biodegradable, upcycled and reclaimed materials. We organize green events; support global eco-causes; and raise awareness about environmental issues through blogs, interviews and social media.
• At Alive Publishing Group Inc. (APG), we take pride in being the first-choice resource for millions of people around the world who want to participate more actively in natural health and wellness. The alive brand is synonymous with natural health and wellness, editorial integrity, and the empowerment of alive readers to make healthy, natural, and sustainable lifestyle choices. If you are interested in writing for alive, we recommend you read previous editions of the magazine or visit our website to see the kind of articles we publish.
Send submission to Sari Huhtala at firstname.lastname@example.org
• If you have holistic expertise and advice to share with our loyal readers, Alive & Fit invites you to become a guest blogger on our website. We launched in an effort to create a resource that supports the growth of the natural health and wellness industry in the North by motivating readers to make healthier lifestyle choices and connecting them to the widespread resources available in Ontario.
• The Aquarian provides articles and resources that engages readers on topics pertaining to wellness and holistic health, environmental concerns, food and nutrition, and much more.
• Chatelaine is Canada’s leading women’s magazine bringing together the very best of style, home, food, health and real life stories. If you enjoy writing about the latest health news, nutrition, healthy recipes, fitness and more, we want to hear from you.
• Common Ground is a monthly magazine dedicated to health, wellness, ecology and personal growth – educating and inspiring readers to create a better world.
• Diabetes Canada is the national voice for millions of Canadians living with diabetes or prediabetes. Send us a submission if you are interested in developing nutrition resources for those living with diabetes. You expertise are key in helping us lead the fight against diabetes by supporting those with diabetes live healthy lives.
Contact: Send submission to Laura Jackson at email@example.com
• Fit Chicks is Canada’s largest women’s only fitness company. Developed by Top Fitness & Nutrition Experts, Laura Jackson & Amanda Quinn, Fit Chicks offers the best fitness programs for women of all levels who are looking to lose weight, live healthy and feel fierce. We are accepting submissions for our blog! We are looking for nutrition-focused educational content and healthy recipes.
• Fitness Republic exists to make living a healthier and happier life accessible and convenient for millennials, so they can continuously be motivated and inspired to realize their fitness goals. If you love to support others on their health journey, consider writing for us. We accept submissions on topics ranging from fitness, nutrition and mindfulness.
Contact: Email Julia Rickert at firstname.lastname@example.org
• We are looking support for IHN’s public Facebook page as well as special writing and promotional projects. As the industry leader in training nutrition professionals, we want to share your unique perspective on topics relating to nutrition and health with our community. Please connect with Julia to discuss what educational projects are on the table. There are other research and writing opportunities that develop intermittently. Find out what we have on the go!
Contact: Send submission to Talia at email@example.com
• Food is our daily connection to the earth. We are here to make that connection nourishing and joyful. Joya is the lovechild of chefs, bakers and nutritionists that are bent on making healthy an indulgence. The Joya Life is an online wellness and lifestyle magazine. We are looking for contributors to share inspiring content from healthy recipes, nutrition, fitness, meditation and more. This is a great platform to share your wealth of nutrition knowledge and promote your brand and profile.
Send submission to Natasha Villeneuve at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Natural Food Pantry offers a diverse array of products online and in store – including gluten free, bulk, sport nutrition, supplements, organic products and meats, homeopathy, herbs, natural body care, home care products, eco-friendly products, books, specialty products and much more. We have nutritionists on staff at each location to support your health inquiries. We offer nutrition workshops and cooking classes in-store, plus tons of health articles and recipes on our blog.
• Naturally Savvy shares the latest health news, healthy recipes, and more. We take a 360 degree approach towards health. We cover hot topics, ranging from intermittent fasting, plastic in our oceans and recipes to support optimal health.
• OptiMYz magazine is Canada’s leading health and fitness magazine designed for the whole woman—the women who put their health and wellness first and strive to look and feel their best! Our content is based on our five pillars: health, fitness, nutrition, life and mental wellbeing. Bringing these categories together gives our readers and subscribers everything they need to live their lives to the fullest.
• Reader’s Digest is a general interest magazine offering articles online and in their print publication. Readers can learn the latest health news along with simple ways to adopt a healthy lifestyle – from nutrition and lifestyle tips to advice on managing health and disease prevention, plus healthy recipes and more.
• Sweat Equity’s mission is to build community that inspires and motivates. We aim to connect yogis, gym goers, weekend warriors and wellness-minded people. We are proudly Canadian and we put in the sweat to help our loyal readers reach their goals for a healthier body, mind and authentic lifestyle. We accept submissions on topics ranging from yoga, fitness, healthy living and recipes.
• Toronto Life is the destination for people who care about Toronto, the country’s most vibrant city, and want to get the most out of it. We provide insight into the personalities and events that shape the landscape, and help readers make smart choices about everything from restaurants and shopping to real estate and culture. We share submissions that reflect the heart of Toronto and want to hear about your area of expertise.
• The Walrus provokes new thinking and sparks conversation on matters vital to Canadians. We publish articles in the fields of health, science, the environment, sports, the arts, politics, and so forth. The Walrus is invested in the idea that a healthy society relies on informed citizens.
Send submission to Brianna and Kylie at email@example.com
• Well Daily is a health and wellness website founded by holistic nutritionist Brianna Persall. The goal of Well Daily is to provide accessible, thoughtful and inspiring content, based on the philosophy that eating well and feeling good should be simple. We are looking for contributors in helping create content for our website: advice, tips, and recipes that people can actually use in their day-to-day life, along with new insights on health and wellness trends, and your favourite healthy restaurants and fitness spaces. This is a great platform to share your knowledge of nutrition and wellness with a broad audience.
Contact: Send submission to Julia Woodford at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Vitality magazine is one of Canada’s largest publications on natural health, alternative medicine, and green living. We share articles on a wide range of topics, from clean beauty, green living, healthy recipes, nutrition and alternative therapies.